We mow the butterfly meadow twice a year with hand scythes to encourage the insects and flowering plants, especially the six-spotted widow (Zygaena filipendulae). This involves mowing only about 50% of the area in a "small-scale pseudorandom mosaic mow©", leaving the rest standing. This means that we prefer to mow in "serpentine lines" and mainly mow the grass while leaving the flowers standing. The mown material must be raked and disposed of. On the one hand, a nutrient removal is important so that the species are preserved, on the other hand, half must remain standing so that the small animals can survive, e.g. the caterpillars and pupae of the butterflies.
The more people participate, the faster we are finished.
Mow the grass with a scythe and then rake or parallel. If necessary, remove woody growth with loppers and rose shears (cherries, roses, hawthorn)
Fun working together in the fresh air.
Scything and raking stresses the upper arms, shoulder girdle, trunk, and legs - in that participants should be fully physically fit.
Since we work in all weather (except severe), "weatherproofing" is important. Grass cuts best when damp, from both dew and rain. Therefore, it is good to start relatively early in the morning
Please bring the following:
I will bring our entire equipment and tool kit (scythes, rakes, pitchforks...), but will be grateful if own equipment/gloves are also brought.
For our lunch I will be provide a picnic. :)
You need to sign up for this project 3 day(s) in advance
NABU Hannover makes nature conservation "on the doorstep":
- Different Biotoppflegeeinsatz z. E.g. Handsensenmahd.
- Spreading the "nature garden idea": every m² counts! Planting gardens and balconies with native wild plants to offer caterpillar food plants for butterflies.
- Cooperation in the Insect Alliance Hanover: from autumn 2022, planting and volunteer maintenance of a near-natural show garden to inspire the population.
- AG garbage: dealing with the issue of waste avoidance and joint garbage collection actions in the urban area.
- AG information booths: presentation of our activities and projects as well as public relations work at information booths.
- We have a NABU-Naturschutz-AG, which each deals with local issues in Hemmingen, Pattensen and Sehnde.More about the organisation