#StandWithUkraine | How you can support people in Ukraine in a meaningful way
[As of: 07 March 2023] Since the start of the Russian war of aggression on February 24, 2022, about 8 million people have fled out of Ukraine to other European countries. About 5 million people have fled within Ukraine and 1 million people are now registered as refugees in Germany. Due to the ongoing war, people both in Ukraine and here in Germany are still in need of help – we show you how you can support them.
1. Support Ukraine through vostel.com & beyond
At vostel.de you can find many ways to support Ukrainians in Germany through your commitment. These include, for instance:
- Language courses for people from Ukraine (especially also for blind & visually impaired Ukrainians*)
- Support Ukrainian children & young people, e.g. as a mentor
- A tandem partnership to support Ukrainians in their everyday life
- Support the food distribution boards as contact points for Ukrainians in need
- Support as a crisis counselor in the crisis chat for young people
More volunteering opportunities
In addition, you can support people from Ukraine in other ways, for example:
- Support in the arrangement of housing
- As a translator for visits to authorities, doctor’s appointments or in everyday life
- Arriving at the main station (still several hundred people daily).
- When searching for a job in Germany
2. Support by donating money to charities
Due to the ongoing war against the aid organizations in Ukraine and here in Germany are still dependent on donations. With a monetary donation you can provide concrete support to people from Ukraine.
Donations for people in Ukraine
- Winter aid against cold and destroyed infrastructure (Ukraine-Hilfe Berlin e.V.)
- For emergency power generators (Space Eye)
- For emergency medical care (German Red Cross)
- For Hot Meals (Terra Vision)
On betterplace.org you can find many other ways to support the people in Ukraine but to support also the people in Germany with a donation.
Other donation options
In addition to the organizations you can find on betterplace.org, there are a number of initiatives that collect donations for specific causes:
3. Support with donations in kind for people in Ukraine
Due to winter and the massive destruction in many places in Ukraine, people are still dependent on support in form of donations in kind. Deutsche Post now offers the opportunity to send a free aid package with donations in kind. Above all, durable food, medicine, hygiene products and household items are needed.
Donation places in different cities
In addition, you can make donations in kind in many German cities. For example, here:
- Berlin: Spendenbrücke or at Ukraine-Hilfe Berlin e.V.
- Breitscheid (Hessen): Ukrainehilfe Breitscheid
- Frankfurt: Frankfurt for Ukraine
- Gießen: Global Aid Network
- Hamburg: Hanseatic Help
- Köln: Blau-Gelbes Kreuz
- Leipzig: many drop-off points
- München: München hilft Ukraine e.V.
- Nürnberg: diverse many drop-off locations Abgabestellen
4. Support by showing solidarity at demonstrations
You can also show your support and solidarity with Ukraine by participating in demonstrations against Russia’s belligerent attacks, as many people around the world have done. By doing so, you can call on politicians to take concrete action. Find demonstrations near you here:
Your vostel.de team wishes you a lot of success in supporting the people in Ukraine!
Stand with Ukraine!