Soorum is a queer (school) education project. Young, qualified volunteers lead workshops with a focus on sexual and gender diversity, in which gender roles, prejudices and discrimination are also addressed.More about the organisation
Soorum is a queer (school) education project. Our team of young volunteers leads workshops with focus on sexual and gender diversity, also addressing gender roles, prejudice and discrimination. Education on these topics is not only important for queer identities. LGBT*QI hostility negatively impacts everyone by perpetuating outdated expectations about gender role behaviour and stereotypes. As one of many different forms of discrimination that exist, it also provides a conversation starter about tolerance and acceptance in general.
If you volunteer with us, it means that you give workshops for pupils together with other young people. You will be supported by the project management. These workshops focus on sexual and gender diversity. A focus is always on the individual questions of the students.
Through a peer-to-peer approach and autobiographical storytelling, different topics such as gender roles, prejudices against LGBT*QI, discrimination or coming out experiences are developed together with the students. The pupils get to know different ways of living. The aim is to reduce prejudice and discrimination and to create respect and mutual appreciation.
Of course, we will prepare you for the work with the school classes so that you can safely use the methods we use.
- Age: up to 27
- Willingness to talk about own experience and identity
- Time for training and further education on qualification measures on contents, didactics, methods etc.
- Desire to work with pupils and other young people
- Open, respectful attitude to other people - our area of expertise is sexual and gender diversity, but there is no place for other forms of discrimination than homophobia and transphobia in our project.
- you would like to ensure more acceptance in Hamburg.
- you want to stand up for diversity and against discrimination.
- you want to encourage young lesbian, gay, bi, pan, trans*, inter* and queer people at school.
- you are willing to talk openly about yourself and your experiences.
Please note: For this volunteering opportunity, you need German skills on the level „Medium German skills“.
As a school awareness project, we are mainly in demand with our workshops on weekday mornings. Basically, you should have time in the mornings if you want to join us.
Your support is needed on a long-term basis.
Am I covered by accident and/or casualty insurance during the project?
- On weekdays
- By day
For this project, we ask you to arrange an individual meeting.